Heller Soliel Royal

Post your model build topics here.
kpnuts

Re: Heller Soliel Royal

Postby kpnuts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi all got this out to do some work on it. There seems to be a problem with the cheap paint I used on the base (Not had this problem before) the base started off dk blue but over time it seemed to go brackish
Which I didn't mind too much as it just looks like dirty harbour water but worryingly it is doing this from the edges and seems to be progressing inward
Do you think this will progress, if so should I stripp it all off (assuming I can) then start again, any suggestions.

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:36 pm

If you can accept the way it is now, you may be able to accept it if it gets worse.
If you are to replace the water and start again. I would first find out the why of its discolouration. Cheap paint does not explain the why. It may have something to do with the chemicals used in the silicon. Once you know why, you can then avoid it next time.

kpnuts

Postby kpnuts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Thing is I've done it this way loads of times and not had this reaction but this is the first time I used this paint so I assume it's the paint.

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:21 pm

kpnuts wrote:Thing is I've done it this way loads of times and not had this reaction but this is the first time I used this paint so I assume it's the paint.

Yes, I assumed it was the paint, because you said you used a cheap paint. What I am saying is, why did the cheap paint react that way. If you know that, then you can select any paint without that why in it.
I also referred to the silicone, in case you used a different brand. But it seems you used the same one as you have in the past.

My thinking is that the silicon reacted with the paint. Perhaps the paint is solvent, in some way, to what the paint consists of. If so, then there is something that the cheap paint does not have, or the expensive paint has, which resists that sort of reaction.

Of course, the simple solution is to go back to the paint you used before. But then, not knowing why, you will be restricted to that combination only.

kpnuts

Postby kpnuts » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:33 am

I see what you're saying, it's a bit of a puzzle, I'm not even sure if I can get the stuff off or even get the ship out of it. I may leave it and see if it gets any worse.

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 am

You never know, it may eventually give the diorama a unique quality.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 am

To me it looks like it's the silicon reacting to something rather than the paint reacting. It may be because of what's in the paint that the silicon is reacting. It could be that the paint hadn't fully cured or gassed off before you put the silicon on. Did you change your silicon brand? :oj A puzzle for sure!

kpnuts

Postby kpnuts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 am

No the only thing different was the paint actually you may have hit the nail on the head there as the cheap paint did seem to take days to dry, maybe it still wasn't fully cured when I added the silicon.

Return to “Work In Progress”