Heller Soliel Royal

Post your model build topics here.
kpnuts

Heller Soliel Royal

Postby kpnuts » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi all I started this over a year ago (it's a long slog for me) they say the average build time for this kit is 2 yrs and I can see why.
When I started this kit I had loads of people asking how I did the wood effect so I did a small tutorial, so I thought it may be of use here, so here is the tutorial.

Hi all, I was asked by a few people how I did this wood effect so thought maybe some of you would be interested.
First of all I apologise my the first pics of the procedure are missing as the pics on my phone we're corrupted for some reason, it dosn't really matter as the process it the same throughout I will explain as we go.
First here is the huge list of things required
this is where my phone let me down I have no pics if this part as they were corrupted(sorry)
the pastels wont stick to plastic so you have to use matt paint (I've no idea if this will work with acrylics as I use enamels but I think it would)
I picked the lightest colour of the wood I'm trying to replicate for the base colour (in this case Humbrol m 63)
paint the wood with a thin coat in the direction of the grain if it looks patchy that is good (helps with the effect)as long as it all has some paint on it (look at the pictures of the hull you can see its very patchy)
once that is dry take the darkest wood colour pastel you are using and lightly drag it over the grain in a random manner not everywhere so it all looks the same , then with the brush, again in the direction of the grain brush it in

then with the highlight colour (we have pictures of the rest of the process from now on) do exactly the same

again brush in the direction of the grain

next get some black pastel and dab on details (anywhere that may get stained from water or nooks an crannys where swilling the deck wouldn't get plus a few random areas

now brush across the gain (only very lightly and only a couple of passes)

now brush with the grain as much as you like till you get the desired effect

now comes the important bit (DO NOT VARNISH THIS YET) the varnish stays wet too long and the pastels merge and you just end up with brown blotches. spray with your missus hair spray at a distance of at least 12 inches ( you don't want it to look wet when that is dry then you can spray your varnish.

Just to show the versitility of this here is some wood from my Mefistofeles which I wanted a mahogany effect (its 1/12 so the wood grain effect is much couser)

red base coat

first pastel colour

the genius of this method is if you make a mistake or don't like the effect (untill you varnish it) wash it under the tap dry with a cloth and your missus hair dryer, ten mins and you're ready to go again, you tell me any other method that's that easy to redo.
Hope this is of some help to some one

I've used gold leaf on this kit as well, as I said been on this for over a year so quite a bit done and here is where it stands now.
I realise it's not my best work hence the fact it's not been touched for a few months but I intend to get back on it, I may strip it all back and start again.

JayCub

Re: Heller Soliel Royal

Postby JayCub » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:23 pm

oh my word that is wonderful, i do love the wood and gold, and im not surprised by the amount of time required, not sure i would have the heart to strip it back to be honest

Thank you for the tutorial

Tom

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Excellent SBS Ken! :DX I've always wanted to have a go a doing wood and this will be very helpful.

Cheers!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

kpnuts

Postby kpnuts » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi all well I've finally finished painting the waved (That's a lot of water) not sure if it needs more colour, I'm trying for the dark brackish water of a harbour.

BKirwan

Postby BKirwan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Cool

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Very cool! :o)b

kpnuts

Postby kpnuts » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:03 pm

all well I've fixed the foremast and strengthened it with a rod up the middle, making it a waterline model had an unexpected problem to it the main mast locates in an I shaped piece which is glued to the bottom of the hull to keep the mast central and true since I cut the bottom of the hull off obviously that locating area was no longer there also the mast was a lot higher than it should have been, luckily I still had the bottom of the hull that I cut off so I put the mast in it laid a rule across the hull and marked where it cam on the mast and cut that piece off but the mast is tapered at the bottom and the holes through the decks must be the same size as when I put the mast in it Leaned either way so I had a cunning idea and wrapped masking tape round the bottom of the mast till it was a snug fit in the bottom hole ( only problem now is the mast seems to lean sternwards) so now I just have that problem to sort and of course to make sure it is square with the center line as well.

kpnuts

Postby kpnuts » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi all well I've got this back out as Gandale (Alan on another forum posted an easy way to do the stays on this) (That's what's been scaring me from continuing this build) baring in mind this is my first attempt at doing them I'm quite chuffed with the result (obviously I've seen them done millions of times better but hey I can only get better from now on) 

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Ah, so that is what I saw a few months ago on one of your photos.

As usual, you are doing a grand job of making a fine looking ship.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Pat yourself on the back Ken, that looks really great! Well done! :DX

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Return to “Work In Progress”