1-144 Type VII C/41 German U Boat

Post your model build topics here.
martay

1-144 Type VII C/41 German U Boat

Postby martay » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi again guys, for my next project i bought this in Marks in Cork last weekend, the late war version of the type VII C, the type 41, this boat had removed the 8.8cm deck gun and fitted the newest snorkel development which allowed the boat to travel underwater at top speed while recharging the batteries and using the diesels. This also gave far better protection from marauding allied aircraft which by this stage were taking a terrible toll on the U Boat crews, also these boats had the ''Large Conservatory'' the extended 'Tower IV' which contained two 20mm flak guns which fired splinter shells and a lower rear mounted platform which mounted a 37mm flak gun with splinter rounds. There were a total of 91 of these types build and they accounted for 38 damaged or sank allied ships against the loss of 44 U Boats.

Ive got the two halves of the hull together and the fit is excellent, there is some minor flash on several parts and will require some clean up, nothing too bad though and ill be tipping away at this in the coming weeks, hope to get a few more bits done before the GB, thanks for looking.
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

jaydee

Re: 1-144 Type VII C/41 German U Boat

Postby jaydee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:06 pm

I have to admire your work rate particularly considering the quality.Fair play to you for raising the bar this high. [smilie=thumb.gif]

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Jazes for a fella thats land locked ur not half knocking out a few subs Martay :lol: [smilie=thumb.gif]
Image Image

martay

Postby martay » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:59 pm

thanks very much lads, this one may take a while, lot of small bits and that to get prepped plus i wanna get one over the line in this GB too. Do ya think im unconsciously yearning for the ocean Leo :D

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey Martay
perhaps if you got a holiday home in la rochelle or Hamburg we could all come and stay with ya for a few months [smilie=yikes.gif] [smilie=beer.gif] .
Image Image

martay

Postby martay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:57 am

Wouldn't i just love a holliday home Leo, actually id just love a holliday :D Well ill let ya know as soon as i pick the place out fella and yer all welcome !!!
Few more update pics for yiz, been putting her together slowly, lots of seam lines to sand off and ill be doing the tower separately and joining them up at the end, few bits of filling and a big gap in the join at the front of the tower to fill with a plastic shim, ive sprayed the two scopes in silver and will have them lowered for the painting, they can be raised and lowered.

the shim in the tower front

scopes lowered

Ill be spraying the deck and the tower seperately, nearly all the small bits are done, deck guns etc and will be added afterwards, havent decided which boat im doing yet, that can wait i think, thanks for looking guys. :o)b

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Very nice work Martay :DX It looks quite intricate… and delicate around the rudders and propellers.

Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks Vinny, to be honest its the railings that have soaked up all the time on this one, every straight line has to be cleaned of seam lines top and bottom, and there is a lot of railings, the props and rudders went on in a jiffy, but they are all on now and im priming and preshading, should be a very nice looking kit when finished, thanks for the kind words :o)b

martay

Postby martay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:07 pm

the latest update on the progress of this sub, its coming along nicely, nice detail and starting to take shape. Ive decided to do U 292, she was captained by OL Werner Schmitt from Aug 43 to may 44 when she was sank with all hands on her first war patrol by a British Liberator depth charges off Drontheim.

Still have the deck guns and radars to add but she is nearly there, she has gotten another coat of sealer and ill be weathering and some dry brushing next.
Thanks for looking
M

martay

Postby martay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi again lads, this one is moving along now all the hard stuff has been done, all decals are on and all the small tiny bits inc the rigging which is stretched sprue, ive started the streaking and wash's, mostly on the port side, really coming to life now tho, see what ya think, few pics for ye. :D

next is another weathering session, ive also to finish the rigging wires and add detail to the guns, there a bit flat i think.
Thanks for looking
M

Return to “Work In Progress”