Hobby Boss Type VII B German U Boat 1-350

Post your model build topics here.
martay

Hobby Boss Type VII B German U Boat 1-350

Postby martay » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi guys, quick update of the progress on the latest sub to be added to the collection, this is a truly stunning kit, also it will be my first major foray into the world of photo etch, and god this stuff is tricky to work with, but the results hopefully are going to be worth the effort and time spent. Two sprues of very finely moulded plastic with the hull in two parts, a top and a bottom along with two etch sprues and details for two different subs. Im bringing it up to primer then i can work on this and the XXI at the same time. Some progress shots for your perusal.

Few more bits on since this, dive planes and rudders etc, taking my sweet time with this as any accidents will have dire consequences, that wintergarten was very tricky, ive already dropped one bit of etch while removing it and it took me till the next day with a brush on the floor to find it, bloody hell !!!
More soon....ish :D
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

martay

Re: Hobby Boss Type VII B German U Boat 1-350

Postby martay » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Another quick update, nearly all the etch has been added just the front top wire cutter left, all rudders and dive planes are on, so after the etch she will be on to primer and then the fun bit :D

etch looks so cool, shame to paint it :lol:
thanks for lookin

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:02 am

You're doing a superb job on that etch for a first-timer! :DX It looks really good and curving etch is no easy task. Very nice looking model. I think you'll have to try a water scene some dat with a sub breaking the surface 8-)

Looking forward to the next installment!
Vinny [smilie=pdt_popc1.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks a lot Vinny, i know you know how tricky this stuff is, that wintergarden railing took ages to get just right, rolled it in the palm of my hand with a file handle, getting it to sit right took bout five or six goes, all etch is now on and drying, more pics soon.

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Man alive, how many subs is it now Marty :D .....brilliant work there with that etch,top class work as always man :DX

martay

Postby martay » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:35 pm

This one is number 5 man, and i wont be stopping there, i want to see if i can get a type IX or X, havent seen one anywhere yet so i might be in for a wait, might see if i can get a conversion kit for a type VII to make a U-flak. Thanks as ever man :o)b

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:46 am

Lovely stuff there,that etch is difficult but the results make it worth while. How`s the eyesight though? At this stage I have to use all the magnification and lighting I can get. [smilie=thumb.gif]

martay

Postby martay » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:55 am

Thanks very much Jaydee, ive got a mag light and i use it as an overhead light but the peepers are ok for the minute, fingers crossed :D ive finished off the etch and gotten her primed, here are the latest pics, and thanks for the kind words.

Right that's the primer on and man that last bit of etch, the net cutter was some F$%**K*N arse to get lined up right but GAWD am i happy with the way its lookin, im really gonna try to get the wires on this one, at this scale it will be tricky to get the thinkness right, but im so lovin this sub buzz right now that i want to make this model a head turner, that means im gonna drop it soon [smilie=banghead.gif]
thanks for the kind words lads :o)b

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 am

That looks the ol seadogs danglies Martay.Best one yet!Hope she turns out ship shape.
Periscope down,Anon....

martay

Postby martay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks a lot Anon, she is going back to paint soon, pre shade going on, still working out the right paints to use, takin my time,gettin it right, :o)b

Return to “Work In Progress”