Wilhelm Bauer (class 241) German Submarine

Post your model build topics here.
martay

Wilhelm Bauer (class 241) German Submarine

Postby martay » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:04 pm

As im on a bit of a roll i might as well get started on this girl, this is the same kit as the type XXI but after she was raised from Flensburger Forde in 1957, she was give a new aspect tower and renamed ''Wal'' or Whale, after wards in 1960, she was again renamed ''Wilhelm Bauer'' (class 241) and transferred to the Bundesmarine. She continued to have a varied career until 1980 when a crash with a destroyer saw her retired and in 83 she was bought by the German Navy Museum, given back her post war aspect and opened to the public in 84. This boat marks what is probably the single greatest leap in Submarine design, she was the first true Submarine and her design could be seen to influence many of the later cold was boats including the Russian ''Romeo'' class.

this bit annoyed me, why the hell are the gates located on the nice detailed part of the snorkel? really guys, slap in the gob for the langer who thought that was a ''good idea'' !!

Thats all for the minute, im just doing the basic assembly at the minute, ill update as soon as its come along a bit, cheers!
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

jaydee

Re: Wilhelm Bauer (class 241) German Submarine

Postby jaydee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:11 am

I saw this kit before and assumed it was a more recent design particularly with the post war German flag flying.That`s another reason I enjoy the hobby,the stuff your always learning. :o)b

You are bang on about the gobshites responsible for designing the sprue set ups.My thing is 1/72 armour and it amazes me how having created really fine and detailed parts some fool screws it up by attaching it to the sprue at it`s finest, most fragile and detailed spot. I can tell you the air has turned seriously blue in this gaff plenty times.
[smilie=wall.gif]

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Very cool Marty, very interesting subject, id love to go and visit the museum sometime, looking forward to seeing this one progress and being added to your sub collection :D

martay

Postby martay » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks a lot lads, ya jaydee, she was launched in Feb 45 as type XXI, U 2540, but was scuttled in May 45, then raised in 57. Amazing machine when you look at what she would have been up against, nothing came close to her and she had a submerged speed of 17knots or so, faster than many ships.
Thanks Brian, ya id love to visit her too, would be a amazing experience, i was looking at your work on the XXI cutaway which is a sweet job, ive that kit to do also and hope i can do as well as you did with it, gonna be a bit of a squeeze on the ''Sub'' shelf lol :D

martay

Postby martay » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi all, quick update on this one, ive nearly got her primed, a few more bits to add to the conning tower which will be done tonight and another light layer of primer, a few bits of filler and a bit of sanding on the seam lines, this went together very well and im looking forward to paint

So far so good as they say, now to get the wee bits on and crack on with the fun bit, thanks for looking guys :o)b

martay

Postby martay » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm

hello again lads, been gettin stuck into this one and its coming along nicely, ive got the masts and aerials etc on the tower and i did another preshade, id already darkened her pre the primer coat, so another was added afterwards, i first applied XF-82 ocean grey(raf) and then went over that on the panels with dark sea grey XF-54 to lighten it, ill leave her dry then give it a very light dusting on the panels with medium grey XF-20, ill do that after this post, here are a few of the progress shots up to the first colour going on.

preshade

XF-82

So far so good, ill take a few more pics tonight as i progress and hope to get them up.
Thanks for looking

martay

Postby martay » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi all, back with the latest update from the bench, and the work on this beast, being doing a bit of research on this boat as to whether i should add the orange band around the top of the tower, i found a few conflicting pictures, some with it some without, it seems now that this boat had not two but three different towers, four if you take into account the fact that the original war time tower with the twin flak guns was reinstated when she was sold to the German Navy Museum. So im thinkin this tower with the band was when she was being used as a training vessel, as she was also used as a research vessel too, not a lot of info on her that i could find.
The pic below, sorry bout the size and quality, shows her with the tower she had pre this one, when she was a research vessel, no red stripe,

this one shows her with the tower which has the larger cylindrical extensions on the side of the tower, but no red band, at least that i can make out

And here is the red band, quite clearly marked, and the extension to the tower, also contrary to the instructions you can see the band only goes up to the edge of the tower not over it, so i decided to crack on and do this band

first i did the aluminium sections

then a combination of tape and masking fluid went on and i did the band

Taa Daa

Thats it for the minute, gonna give it a coat of sealer and then ill do the last detailing and the decals, then the weathering.
Thanks for looking :o)b

martay

Postby martay » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:37 am

Hi all a quick update on the progress, thought id get a bit more done but as you'd imagine the pinwash has taken a fair old bit of time, but ive gotten a lot of the details done and the pin wash my take a bit more touching up, the decals have yet to go on and finally ill add some streaking on her flanks, she is starting to take on the look im hoping for.

So now a bit more sealer and then decals, then im going to scratch build the railings down each side of the deck, but everything else will have to be finished and sealed in first, there is like 11 posts and the wire across the tops of them to do, should really bring out the detail. Laters :oDY

Return to “Work In Progress”