HMS VICTORY, in wood, 1:100

Post your model build topics here.
Simson

HMS VICTORY, in wood, 1:100

Postby Simson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi guys,

I promised to upload my father's wooden HMS Victory.
It is still under construction and he will not paint it but will attach at least some of the sails unfolded and the rest rolled up.
He is the only builder and works daily a few hours, currently he builds the small rowing boats.

Stern. That part is done.

Side view. Several guns must be installed and all the gun port hatches.
The loose strings will be cut shorter and tied around the dead eyes (rigging tensioners, tension the masts).
The masts are made of 3 parts, so the top parts are not attached but are built.....unhandy during this stage of tying riging lines. So later more rigging will be fixed to the tops! Slow and tedious work.

Front deck and bow sprit

Middle section

Crow's nest.....is a platform for look out / attack and defense but also is a strong connection for rigging...it widens the point where the rigging is attached creating better strength transfer (more torque to hold things straight)

Bow

Middle deck. It is partly open to the underlying gun deck. Easier loading etc.
The white things in the black nets are over a hundred individual hammocks in their storage places...was done to dry them, keep the gun deck area free of clutter (was sleeping area for the crew) and for extra protection against bullets and small splinters etc during battle.
I think they were quite wet due to rain???

Rear deck. You can see the steering wheel stand under cover of the deck.

Front deck with the heavy 64 pounder corronades....a short and thinner walled gun type made for large loads and small charge: short distance shooting with either ball or grape shot / shrapnel to damage a ship or clear a deck from poor sailors...short distance means that these ships really approach each other for a fine raking with the main guns (32 pounders long guns). Resulting in destruction of masts and riggings and equipment and constructions. It would not sink a ship because the balls don't strike under the water line. Most ships that don't burn are taken back by the original owners or the new owners, repaired and used again because of their high value.

The HMS Victory was a ship of the line and is still alive in the UK as the oldest commissioned Navy vessel, so it is still under command of the admiralty and not just a museum!
One of these days I might finish my fishing botter and then maybe one of these war vessels?

Dennis

Vinny

Re: HMS VICTORY, in wood, 1:100

Postby Vinny » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:43 pm

That is beautiful! Your father is a very skilled man [smilie=bow.gif] Is that completely scratch built? I think it looks better unpainted as you can clearly see all the details and construction of the model.

Very interesting read about how the hammocks were put to different uses.

Thanks for posting Dennis and pass my compliments onto your Dad. Fantastisch :DX

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:40 pm

WOW thats Epic

Simson

Postby Simson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks guys.
It's not a scratch built, it's a kit made from planks and laser cut details.
It includes white metal parts, wire and a few strings here and there haha
He is very patient and soldiers on

Dennis

gmccabe01

Postby gmccabe01 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:23 pm

It shows skill when you leave a kit like that unpainted, I presume he will varnish it ?
Many thanks for the pics
Last edited by gmccabe01 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simson

Postby Simson » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks,

I said the same thing about varnishing..it would keep the wood smoother and cleaner. No fingerprints, stains, ingress of whatever....but answer was no.
He likes building but doesn't like painting.

I saw a HMS Victory in two tone wood stain: light brownish and very dark stripes...it brought out the looks but maintained the woody look totally.
I liked it both, don't know what I would prefer yet.
There is an add-on with couple of thousand copper tiles for the underwater hull coverings......too much work in this stage, might damage top parts easily.

D

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Man alive, she is some beautiful looking model Dennis, your dad is some craftsman, amazing the amount of detail and esp in that scale, top class :DX

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:00 pm

I tip my capeen to your father Dennis.That's just beautiful.The modelling is in the genes then, he's got a lot of patience & skill.Thanks for keepin your promise & posting the pics.Your father should be very proud of his workmanship.
Anon...

Simson

Postby Simson » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks guys for the kind words

Return to “Work In Progress”