SS Talacre - 1/48 RC Steam ship

Post your model build topics here.
Georgeconna

SS Talacre - 1/48 RC Steam ship

Postby Georgeconna » Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Folks,

Been of line for a while as I cant figure out the Tablet workings so have a laptop again.

This is a 1/48 Scale coastal Steamer.The SS Talacre is a typical single hatch coaster used in the coal trade of a type that was found by the hundreds around the coast of the U.K. in the golden era of steam. Designed for Point of Ayr Collieries by Crichton, Thompson & Co Ltd., of London she was built by Crabtree &Co., of Great Yarmouth in 1917. Talacre was named after a small village near the colliery. Talacre was finally scraped in 1959 by the Hammond Lane Foundry in Dublin.

The SS Talacre's hull is of GRP fully detailed on the exterior with plating, double riveting and strakes. The whole package is complete with CNC cut plywood, printed overlays, funnel material, hatch cover, moulded ships boats, mast and boom material, cargo material, rigging cord, transfers, detailed drawings and instruction book, crew members and all cast white metal fittings to complete.

I started this last August and it was a surpise pressie from me Dad [smilie=bow.gif] so I have to make a good go at this one. Heres some pics of the progress taken over the last few months.

Cheers

George

Georgeconna

Re: SS Talacre - 1/48 RC Steam ship

Postby Georgeconna » Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 am

Here are some more, The boat got some Primer on last night as the Weather was nice for Can Spraying outside.

You can see the Gubbins inside now to make the ship go. I have installed a foggy Mister (works like the Garden water fountains but has a fan to push the mist out) and a Steam sound unit. I will have running lights also in in and perhaps some in the cabins but I never sail a night anyhow so not sure if there is any point with same.

Cheers

George

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Thu May 11, 2017 2:00 am

Very tasty George. Lovely subject, you certainly know your way around the hobby, makes it interesting alright. [smilie=thumb.gif]

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun May 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Big Step forward this weekend with the hull being sprayed up. Was waiting for some nice weather to do this after sanding down and getting rid of the blemishes. I used cling film as a mask for the black and it kinda of reacted with the red paint for some reason. i need to get some Lacquer which will apparently hide these weird marks. Loaded these up on photobucket so no issue there

[IMG]http://[URL=http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/Georgeconna70/media/543_4384_zpsdzk2ed8g.jpg.html]

/albums/u649/Georgeconna70/543_4383_zps8pvvjeiu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Cheers

George

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Sun May 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Big Step forward this weekend with the hull being sprayed up. Was waiting for some nice weather to do this after sanding down and getting rid of the blemishes. I used cling film as a mask for the black and it kinda of reacted with the red paint for some reason. i need to get some Lacquer which will apparently hide these weird marks. Loaded these up on photobucket so no issue there

Cheers

George

d_anonymous_modeller

Postby d_anonymous_modeller » Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 pm

I could have stuck me thumb behind it for scale George.Looks fab,smooth sailing from here on George.
Anon...

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Tue May 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Lovely job there George. :o)b

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 am

Absolutely magnificent George :DX Paint job on the hull is real nice... but it will look even better when you add a bit of weathering :o)b

She's going to be a real eye-catcher when she sails.

V [smilie=thumb.gif]

arni

Postby arni » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:25 pm

She looks dead smart,like the sails...(curtains!) :lol:
Nigel.

BKirwan

Postby BKirwan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Great looking ship. Really nice and unusual.

Return to “Work In Progress”