Tamiya T34/85

Post finished models here. Polite and constructive comments please.
Ferraribod

Tamiya T34/85

Postby Ferraribod » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 pm

After my visit to the Imperial War Museum - see photos elsewhere - I decided to try and do a tank rather than a racing car and so here below is "My First Tank" Compared to some of the work I have seen here, the end result is amenable to some improvement; but as a first go, I'm reasonably happy with it.

The project was fairly straightforward and the model fitted well together. One thing I find amusing is that the lens on the headlight is actually an unused part from a model of the Ford GT40 that won Le Mans.

Tamiya did not explain the slogan on the side of the T34/85. I though the decal looked a bit too perfect for what would have been painted by a Russian tank crew member; so I did it myself using a white marker. In English it would be pronounced "Chervonets". Tamiya don't say what the meaning or significance of this is. I couldn't find any village, town or city by this name. There is a river by this name near Lviv, which today is in western Ukraine, though it was called Lvov and was actually in Poland in 1939. According to Tamiya, this name was on the tank in Minsk in July 1944; the same month that Lvov was liberated by the Russians; so that source of the name is a possibility.

On the other hand, Chervonets were gold coins issued by Russia in 1925 that had a face value of ten roubles. The slogan could mean "pure gold"; which is probably what some Russian crews would have thought of their T34/85s.

Return to “Ready for Inspection”