1/72 S-Model U.S. Sheridan Tank.

Post finished models here. Polite and constructive comments please.
jaydee

1/72 S-Model U.S. Sheridan Tank.

Postby jaydee » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:22 am

This was classified as a light tank,officially The M551 AR/AAV, Armoured Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle. Entered service in 1967. Could be air dropped and was amphibious. Armed with an unusual gun, a 152mm gun/launcher. Used normal ammo, plus the Shillelagh ATGW. Saw action in Vietnam,Panama and Desert Storm. Was retired in 1996 but continued in use at Fort Knox as simulated Soviet Armour. Finally withdrawn in 2003.

There were 88,000 Shillelaghs produced, and a grand total of 6 of them ever fired in combat. [smilie=banghead.gif]

Not a bad kit overall, very well detailed with the track units in one piece. Went together easily in the most part however got bogged down in the end. The .50 Cal. HMG is nicely done but was almost impossible to remove from the sprue,so I had to work on it basically using layers of paint as filler. The grips on the trigger were similar. The etch was more like kitchen foil and was a right pain. I added spare etch from my spares box to make straps on the ammo boxes and as handles on the hatches. Used stretched sprue for aerials, I also drilled out the grenade launchers. I used wire to fashion lifting eyes on the turret. Went with the simple option on the decals. Happy enough the result.

JayCub

Re: 1/72 S-Model U.S. Sheridan Tank.

Postby JayCub » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Excellent as always, some delicate work like the lights for example... its only when you put the acrylic pot beside the tank you realize just how much work goes into the scale...has a look of Russian armor influence about it

love seeing this scale and only wish i could work in this scale

Tom

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 am

Excellent result Jim! :DX A smashing little model and I'm always impressed with the detail you manage to fit in at that scale.

Top notch!

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks for the comments lads. Tom, you're on the ball about the Russki similarities, Wayne said the same and it's the turret in my opinion. Have a look at the T-54-1 tank, the Yanks would never admit to copying it though. :o)b

Return to “Ready for Inspection”