1/72 Attack Marmon Herrington Armd Car North Africa 1941.

Post finished models here. Polite and constructive comments please.
jaydee

1/72 Attack Marmon Herrington Armd Car North Africa 1941.

Postby jaydee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:20 pm

This was a South African manufactured vehicle based on a Ford 3 Ton truck chassis. Mostly saw action in the North African campaign. This model was armed with 2 x .303 Vickers M.G.s. Other variants used the Boys A.T. Rifle and misc. M.G.s.

The model is one of the newer Attack releases and is flagged as an improvement on their older range.

However, well I should have read the reviews before I bought the kit. Every part had flash and it's a hard plastic and was a pain to remove particularly on the smaller pieces. The bow gun didn't fit as the hole was too large so I had to put a piece in to secure it. The axles were off,the drive shafts were too short and needed replacing. The windscreen was moulded as a solid piece so had to be cut to insert the windows. The sand channels were poor and I had to add edges and brackets. The chevron deflectors on the bonnet were awful so I added strips of light plastic. The aerial is stretched sprue and I added wire handles on the bonnet and rear doors. The decals disintegrated also.

There was not a single part that didn't need sanding, cutting, drilling, filling or replacing. It was the closest I came to binning a kit since I returned to the hobby. It did come out reasonably well in the end and since no other manufacturer offers this vehicle it was the only way to go.

Last edited by jaydee on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayCub

Re: 1/72 Attack, Marmon Herrington Armd Car North Africa 194

Postby JayCub » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 pm

considering the draw backs its a cracking build, not one i have seen before, looks like they just stuck girders over the rear wheels, i can't focus at the moment my eyes are giving me problems but working on 1/72 there is no hope, this is a classic, i bet the mpg really sucked

Tom

JayCub

Postby JayCub » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 pm

i take they where for getting out of trouble and un-ditching i wouldn't have liked to part of that crew :shock:

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 pm

From these photos I'd never think it was so small in reality. Lovely work as always Jim and the detail you at at that scale is outstanding!

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks lads. The boards on the side are for getting out of soft ground, I think they are called sand channels.

The chassis was produced by Marmon Herrington, a U.S. company, still in business. It was four wheel drive, the armour plate was produced in South Africa where the vehicle was assembled. A total of 5,700 in various marks were completed and were used by the British as well. They appeared in various conflicts after WW2, including Israel, Cyprus and Indonesia.

Return to “Ready for Inspection”