Panther G 1/35 Dragon

Post finished models here. Polite and constructive comments please.
Lego

Panther G 1/35 Dragon

Postby Lego » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Nice kit to build oop. No real drama with just a little of the usual from the instrutions.

stephen8718

Re: Panther G 1/35 Dragon

Postby stephen8718 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:39 pm

i like this very much. being an aircraft guy these kind of kits draw me over to the AFV side. turned out really good.

Lego

Postby Lego » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Lol join us. Join us.

beowulf

Postby beowulf » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 am

i really like that, what problems did you have with the instructions?

stephen8718 wrote: being an aircraft guy these kind of kits draw me over to the AFV side.

do it...you know you want to :o)b

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:30 am

Nice one Lego
that is sweet , wat ya use for the yellow ?pain / mix, :o)b
Image Image

Lego

Postby Lego » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:03 am

beowulf wrote:i really like that, what problems did you have with the instructions?

stephen8718 wrote: being an aircraft guy these kind of kits draw me over to the AFV side.

do it...you know you want to :o)b

There references to options to use but it never identified for which variant. Indeed no reference identified any variants to the schemes apart from a side diagram showing different mantlets.

At other times it would say use f26 x2 showing one on this side of the tank and pointing to the other side to repeat. But there was no f26 x2. Only one and the other side was not identical either.

Aside from that I really enjoyed this kit. So much more detail over tamiya.

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56 am

Lovely job,the late war camo. schemes are class. The Panther is about the best of 'em in my opinion. :o)b

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm

Absolute class Lego! Outstanding work! [smilie=first.gif]

Thanks for sharing!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

Ferraribod

Postby Ferraribod » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:57 pm

Lovely job and a well made model.

I agree that Dragon do detail better than Tamiya; but I wonder which is the better for accuracy. I did the Tamiya G version of the Panther, marked as the "Early" version and I can see six differences between your model and the Tamiya.

1. The Tamiya model has a machine gun on a mount at the commander's hatch;
2. The Tamiya has a radio ariel;
3. The Tamiya has flank shields covering the top sections of the tracks;
4. The rear wheel on the Dragon model is different to all the others; in the Tamiya, all wheels are the same;
5. The exhausts are different; Tamiya has exhaust pipes; the Dragon looks like a muffler;
6. The Tamiya has spare tracks on the side of the body.

I don't know the answer to this; but which is more accurate?

Interestingly, neither seems to have provided zimmeritt coating, though the picture on the Tamiya box shows a tank with the coating.

Whatever the answer, the Dragon is a lovely model and you have really done it proud.

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:58 pm

Ferraribod wrote:Lovely job and a well made model.

I agree that Dragon do detail better than Tamiya; but I wonder which is the better for accuracy. I did the Tamiya G version of the Panther, marked as the "Early" version and I can see six differences between your model and the Tamiya.

1. The Tamiya model has a machine gun on a mount at the commander's hatch;
2. The Tamiya has a radio ariel;
3. The Tamiya has flank shields covering the top sections of the tracks;
4. The rear wheel on the Dragon model is different to all the others; in the Tamiya, all wheels are the same;
5. The exhausts are different; Tamiya has exhaust pipes; the Dragon looks like a muffler;
6. The Tamiya has spare tracks on the side of the body.

I don't know the answer to this; but which is more accurate?

Interestingly, neither seems to have provided zimmeritt coating, though the picture on the Tamiya box shows a tank with the coating.

Whatever the answer, the Dragon is a lovely model and you have really done it proud.

I will try answer this,both tanks are accurate just different build dates , the dragon one been a later production.
1.the turret mg was detachable .
2.also detachable, all german tanks carried radio.
3.again detachable,intended to deflect antitank shots from entering that area above the wheels.
4.This rear wheel made of all steel came about as a result of the weight of the engine wearing down the rubber on the rear wheels.
the engine been heavier than planned , and rubber been scarce towards the end of the war.
5.The exhaust mufflers are also dampers,that reduced the amount a flame that could be seen, as at this time 44-45 nearly all travel was done by night ,
6.Again something that was down to the crew,debatable as to these were shot traps or a sence of false protection :?: .

Some of the early Gs were A,s that were sent back for upgrading witch is why you see such differences, and also explains the zimmeritte as this was discontinued been used late 43,

The later new built Gs had there Armour angle changed, a new engine deck layout, a new gun mantlet to prevent shot traps, on the dragon kit! drivers periscope , changes were been made up to the last days.

I built this dragon kit back in the nineties might have been one of the last dragon kits i built :oj out of choice i prefer the easy build of tami kits and there later stuff is accurate ,i think the dragon kits look a bit more detailed maybe something to do with the billion parts [smilie=banghead.gif]

nice vid .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKktWu6Rh0
Image Image

Return to “Ready for Inspection”