LRDG Jeep (Airfix) Libya 1942

Post finished models here. Polite and constructive comments please.
jaydee

LRDG Jeep (Airfix) Libya 1942

Postby jaydee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 pm

This is the Airfix 1/72 Willy's airborne jeep kit, with various alterations and additions.

To adapt it I had to cut out the grill area replacing 2 of the bars and adding a plastic card radiator. I cut the side and rear handles off which were moulded solid, replacing them with wire.

The steering wheel and column were not great either so I used a spare wheel from an ICM kit and a clothes pin for the column. The Lewis gun and second spare wheel are from a Dragon kit. Bags, tarps and crates are from various sources.

The Jerry cans are very good with the correct 3 handle design, they are by a Polish company F.W.Mars. The straps for same I fashioned from light plastic, the condenser I made from sprue.

The Long Range Desert Group was formed in 1940 and was operational until 1945, never numbered more than 350 personnel, used largely for reconnaissance and was separate from the SAS.

LRDG vehicles were not heavily armed unlike the SAS ones. The majority were 2 wheel drive versions basically because of the high fuel consumption of 4x4s. The Jeep was the obvious exception,it's light weight and maneuverability making it ideal.

Last edited by jaydee on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Georgeconna

Re: LRDG Jeep (Airfix) Libya 1942

Postby Georgeconna » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:36 am

Crikey, I cant get over how small this is!!, Nice work indeed. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh at some stage.
Cheers

George

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Fair play to your detailing skills at that scale Jim. I don't know who you manage holding it with all those little details you add.

Lovely work and another one that will fit into a transporting pill box :lol:

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:08 am

Thanks for the positive comments lads. :o)b I'll be bringing this along to the next Mark's meeting. And as I'm a glutton for punishment I'm going to do another one as well as a couple of Chevrolet trucks with a view to including them all in a LRDG diorama.

Return to “Ready for Inspection”