1/35 Meng King Tiger

Post your model build topics here.
Scanlan

1/35 Meng King Tiger

Postby Scanlan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 pm

The detail and the way this thing goes together are something else, there's even a thing for bending some photo-etch parts into shape, a long way from the days when you get a piece of nylon mesh you had to cut out yourself. I don't know why it looks this colour in the photo, it's actually very red. I have no idea how to paint one of these either, they're yellow or something right?

Cheers,
Owen

JayCub

Re: 1/35 Meng King Tiger

Postby JayCub » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 pm

strange how some camera's determine color Owen, looks reddish brown, and yeah a yellow color for the base are you using vallejo for this ?, i have had a look at lots of photo's and of the same piece of armor and its amazing how the color changes from photo to photo, Will you be adding some figures ? your work is always excellent whether it flies or drives

Tom

Scanlan

Postby Scanlan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 am

Cheers Tom, I've had mixed results with Vallejo's and Mig paints, so I might go with a Tamiya mix. I'm actually looking for a little help for the experts here, I want to do the famous (ish) 503rd King tiger at Potsdamer Platz Berlin 1945, I've seen some great modellers do it with only the turret camouflaged and the yellow hull, but I think that might be wrong, looks like a full three colour scheme in the photos, and I reckon it's number 102 or 101 and not 100 as commonly thought, I bought the relevant Archer transfers. Any help much appreciated.

This one is colourized I'd say

Looks like a three colour scheme on the hull here.

Thanks in advance ,
Owen

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Owen
Nice to see this on the bench how dose it fair to the tami one,the scheme wit the camo turret was in a squadron :?: book in a color plate but wrong, all the t2s were 3tone factory applyied ,seen a post on an other f orum recently and the guy went ahead with the camo turret and it dose look cool. :o)b
Image Image

Scanlan

Postby Scanlan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Cheers for the help Leo, there's a lot less parts in the Tamiya kit for sure, but having built this there must be a lot of stuff missing from the Tamiya kit and the rolled textures and welds are very well done but might disappear under some paint they're so fine. You could find this online for about the same price as the Tamiya kit, and it comes with link and length tracks, PE grills and a metal barrel .

JayCub

Postby JayCub » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Interesting about the rolled steel and welds disappearing, must be really fine details, the kit looks awesome so far, Tamiya needs thinning and maybe sanding as i get the odd chalky bit and maybe ok on tanks as the weathering hides quite a bit , and some of the their paint just works great, i ordered the MIG paints interior and exterior this week and i hope they are not a pain to use, and an interesting camo pattern you have chosen for your build, so looking forward to more updates

Tom

FiSe

Postby FiSe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 pm

It has no Zimmerit, so it's safe to presume that it would have been finished in factory 3 tonne camouflage? I would stick with this reconstruction:

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:59 pm

ImageImage

Owen
pic of your tiger commander apparently he was around there for a few days and took out quite a few russian tanks till they ran out a fuel and ammo.
in the other pic it looks as if they set off an internal charge :oj
Image Image

Scanlan

Postby Scanlan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:39 am

Cheers Leo, great info and pic, doing a wrecked one is beyond my skills really, the numbers I got were a bit too small but the right style and I'm not too sure of the number anyway, it's '10..something' alright but I might go with '102' from this pic, it looks like a '2' anyway, dunno why I'm bothering with the accuracy though, the colours are probably wrong and I put way too many dots on it.

Also if you could make them two buildings in the backround for me that'd be great, and that Renault too.
Cheers

FiSe

Postby FiSe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:06 pm

131 - despite everything 'they' say about the number, after a few minutes in Photoshop, I see 'x31'. And I think, that the photo, where you can clearly see '10x' is fake. Quality of the numbering doesn't add up, when compared to the quality of the photograph and style of the numbers on other photos. And the '0' is on the position of '3'... Not to mention that you can clearly see '1' just after that middle number, whether it is '0' or '2' or '3', it must be 'xx1'.
Either way, if we agree that the number starts and ends with '1', then it would be either '101' or '121' or '131'

But don't mind me, it's only my opinion ;)

Return to “Work In Progress”