Dragon Sherman 105 model no 6548

"Target" Talk.
Simson

Re: Dragon Sherman 105 model no 6548

Postby Simson » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:54 am

some kits have mantlets (with / without canvas covers) that are to be glued to barrel and turret to create a realer looking image. Sometimes there are 2 options: straight or elevated.
I checked the instructions and...in step 9 Part B6 glues to the back of the barrel and / or mantlet and must not be glued to fixed mantlet back part.
So find a way to make sure it is a strong bond between B6 and either the mantlet or the barrel.
If it is loose then indeed fill it up with superglue, epoxy, plastic until it is not loose......is fun and part of the hobby too.
Strange because Dragon is a fine brand.....and the detail on your kit is excellent.

Good luck

Dennis

Don Foley

Postby Don Foley » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help/advise. I think I'll go with the Tamiya Tape idea to resolve this issue.
I've since noticed in all of this that there is no co-axial mg in the Turret. According to the documentation I have on the M4 105 it should have one. I was wondering has anybody built the Tamiya version of this Tank and if so does it have a co-axial mg?

As an aside. I haven't been building models for many years and I'm finding working under these new energy saving bulbs a hell of a strain on the eyes. I use an Optivisor, which is excellent, but the poor light means I can only work for very short periods at a time even with this. I was wondering if anyone else has/had this problem and if so how they overcame it.

Don

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi Don,

The Tamiya manual doesn't show a co-axial gun but the mantlet has one hole on each side, one for the optics and one for a gun. It would be likely that it had a gun for fighting infantry but maybe some didn't.

Dragon tends to copy from existing tanks like they were during a certain moment, so if it was without a co-axial gun then the model would be without one too. Unfortunately they have very limited info included with most boxes.
The main difference between a M4 tank and this 105mm one is that the 105mm was not intended for fighting other tanks.

I use a few tubelights rather close to the work area to perform most matters and these don't strain my eyes.
When I need extra light I use a halogen spotlight.
You could consider the daylight lamps which give a full spectrum.

Dennis

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 pm

buy some daylight bulbs they help a lot.
http://www.mygreenlighting.co.uk/

I picked this up from George the other day, and its fantastic. light from it is awesome and the magnifier is great

Lego

Postby Lego » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am

Lol at first glance i thought that was a toilet seat. Looks like a nice bit of kit.

Spud

Postby Spud » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Lol I was expecting that comment from George. It is and well worth the money

Return to “AFV Modelling Chat”