T 34 in the flesh

Here's a good place to share websites, books, apps and so on, that provide useful information for modellers.
Stoertebecker

T 34 in the flesh

Postby Stoertebecker » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 pm

For anyone that has never seen or touched one of the iconic tanks of WWII, there are two on display ar my last holiday destination. Painted in russian green, they actually look quite small for a MBT but still if you had one of those coming at you, you wouldn't worry about their size, would you...???

They also had one of their guns, the 7.62 'Ratschbumm' there... Ratschbumm because the bang from firing and the impact explosion were so close together, the german Landser fearfully named the gun right after what they heard when encontering the gun... Terrible frightening piece of weaponry when you stand beside it....

You'll find this in Berlin, just west of the Brandenburg gate, alongside the 'Strasse des 17 Juni' in the Tiergarten.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild,
dass er beschützt und hegt sein Wild,
weidmännisch jagt, wie sich's gehört,
den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

FiSe

Re: T 34 in the flesh

Postby FiSe » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Lovely photos, brings me right back to the cold war ceremonies most of those evolving around those bits of metal, various T-55s, 72s and firing blanks from MGs. Lovely memories of peaceful childhood :lol:

Now, just for the record, I think that's 152mm howitzer - open to corrections

Stoertebecker

Postby Stoertebecker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:05 pm

You're right, the 'Ratschbumm' only had the bullet shield and a shorter barrell. I was wondering at the time but the bloke doing the explanations that day was constantly going on about it, so I went with it...
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild,
dass er beschützt und hegt sein Wild,
weidmännisch jagt, wie sich's gehört,
den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Georgeconna

Postby Georgeconna » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:12 pm

nice shots. Brian's Gonna love these, I can feel a Diorama coming on!!

Mmm Berlin, Gonna have to get there sometime...
Cheers

George

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:46 pm

Great pics, looking forward to visiting this monument myself as heading to Berlin in February [smilie=thumbsup02.gif]

Georgeconna wrote:nice shots. Brian's Gonna love these, I can feel a Diorama coming on!!

Mmm Berlin, Gonna have to get there sometime...

:D ....you would be right there G as a T34 on a plinth/monument based dio is on my to do list, have enough of em in the stash anyhow :oX

Thanks for posting up the pics, would love to see any others of historic sights/statues you took while there :)

Brian [smilie=thumb.gif]

vw8243

Postby vw8243 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:52 am

Any more pics or info from Berlin
Image Image

Return to “Resources”