ww2 german bicycle ref.

Here's a good place to share websites, books, apps and so on, that provide useful information for modellers.
vw8243

ww2 german bicycle ref.

Postby vw8243 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:14 pm

put these up for ref any body building a german bicycle , i know paul 101 is doing one at the mo.
any questions welcome as they are my bikes ,and another two have been added since :o| ,
for the second one the bikes are at about 2.30 other stuff in there also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek7-TmkIIg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg8aVaxDnvk
Image Image

martay

Re: ww2 german bicycle ref.

Postby martay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Leo are all those bikes yours?? brilliant collection, if you are ever stuck with any mechanics on them give a buzz cause im a bike mech, have been workin on all types of bikes for 10yrs, what type of gears are on them are they hub gears such as like the sturmy archer 3spd's ? ive got an old ecko dutch 50''s or 60's town bike with a 3spd so i can service them, and have to ask are the weapons on them, the panzerfaust etc yours too?????????? love them bikes man very cool [smilie=thumb.gif]
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

Simson

Postby Simson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 am

Something tells me (some of) these might be Dutch bikes, the dynamo is very Dutch and also the rear fender's white lower back was a Dutch traffic rule (not anymore) for visibility in dark.[ In forest areas they were used little during a certain season because the young deer would follow the white fender in the dusk thinking it was their mother who also has a whitish backside!]
Strange that the lamps are bare...they would be covered like car lights and only a horizontal slit would be allowed to prevent being seen by a plane from the sky at night.

Holland was and is a bicycle loving country.
When it was invaded by the Germans during early WW2 they confiscated many of our bicycles for themselves to use in Holland or abroad (also the cars, horses, carts, whatever they wanted) so they were hidden. Only collaborators could keep their stuff.
Those bikes had very likely no gears (less maintenance) or a Dutch 2 speed Torpedo hub....the real German army bikes also used Torpedo hubs...(pre WW2) (the english Sturmey Archer's 3 speed was later but also pre WW2) Torpedo still exists btw.
Holland's army had many bicycle patrols so maybe these bikes belonged to the Dutch army......wild guess.
After the war we didn't like the German tourists and we started to answer their questions about "where is this and that" as "first I want my bike back".
That hasn't changed that much among several Dutch, although Holland earns a lot of money from Dutch tourists.

I've been a bike mech too for a while which was fun from cheap banger to ridiculously expensive plastic racers.

PS. Another post WW2 joke:
On a hot day a Dutch farmer looks at a man about to scoop some water with his hand from a stream on his land. The farmer, knowing the water has shite in it, shouts "he you there, hello, don't drink that, it's not clean!"
The man answers "Wass sagen Sie bitte?" And the farmer answers "Brauch zwei hande!" (Use both your hands!)

Dennis, who has a few German friends btw

martay

Postby martay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Nice one dennis you could well be correct with the diagnosis, i had noticed the dynamo that it looked rather newish, id love to get a closer look at them, ive heard of the torpedo hub but have never had the chance to fiddle about with one but yea the sturmeys and those kind were bullet proof alright. I must try to remember to stick a pic of the dutch bike ive got up here as you would prob have a very good idea of its age etc. Thanks for the info on the usage of bikes at the time, good joke too btw :D
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

Simson

Postby Simson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:23 pm

You never know, maybe I'm wrong?
We cannot read the bike brands.

Matbe see you tomorrow in Mark's?

Dennis

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Very cool Leo,im sure i seen them down at the re enactment show below at Charles Fort,love going down to that when its on,heres a couple of bikes i snaped at the Cork City gaol show there last year
not sure what make or group they belong to,they had some cool old stuff tho :)

Cheers,Brian :o)b

Simson

Postby Simson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:38 pm

The rifles are british enfields, one helmet german, one helmet british
I want those rifles, love them more than the bikes

Dennis

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:05 pm

:lol: i figured out the equipment Dennis :lol: its the make of bikes i meant :oDY ...love all the old military stuff you see at them shows,hope to make it down there again to Kinsale this year,the american civil war lads have some realy cool stuff including authentic muskets,uniforms etc.They puts on 'battles' n all at the end of the show,great fun :)

Simson

Postby Simson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 pm

haha

They should have a riveted metal shield on the headset.
Now it became a challenge so we have to visit Kinsale (when is that btw?) never been to such a show
There might be marks hammered in the rims, bottombracket, wheelhubs etc.
Also there could be stickers or painted brandings underneath the paintjob
Those big leather saddles should have a name on them too (like the famous Brooks)
There will be clues.

Dennis

BrIAN332

Postby BrIAN332 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:36 pm

:D Yes i think you find it very interesting Dennis,its on in August that show,i know one of the lads involved with the american civil war group 'The Pards' and he travels to the states n all to take part in re enactments over there.One of my other main interests besides ww2 is the american civil war or the war between the states as it also known,one of the most famous generals on the confederate side was actualy born in Cork,General Cleburne.

Leo(VW) would have more information than i would but its def worth a trip and they are a very friendly bunch,very interesting to chat to all about thier equipment,uniforms etc.I have some pics of the cork city gaol show up there in the events section on here on the forum,if you havent been to that building in Cork i would highly recomend it,very interesting cork history and very well preserved.I must upload some more pics i took at that show,there was a brilliant reproduction of a german armored car there made by a Limerick based German group.

There is also a show on in Inishanon there sometime during the summer,but that one thats held in Kinsale is the main one and the venue is something else up there at Charles fort,another amazing place to visit for Cork history and some spectacular views of the harbor

Cheers,Brian :o)b

Return to “Resources”