Lidl & Aldi gear for modellers

Find a handy tool to make modelling life easier? Got a trick up your sleeve? Sharing is caring!
Vinny

Lidl & Aldi gear for modellers

Postby Vinny » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 pm

FYI lads, Lidl have some storage containers/accessory drawers coming into stock on Monday 13th of August. They look like the same ones that come up once a year in Aldi. They come in two layouts and they're very useful for storing paints and bits'n'bobs. The small shelves store 6 tinlets and the bottom shelf is ideal for Tamiya glass jars. I already posted about these on another site at the beginning of the year, before ISM was up and running, so I know a few of you already know about them. For those of you in the process of tidying or making a man cave (Marty?) during the summer months these are a very handy addition and cheap to boot (€9.99). Product details here.

This is what I store in them (I've added an extra one since this photo for paints and resin parts)

Also in stock on the 13th are Digital Callipers for €13.99. I'm not sure what the quality/accuracy is like on electronic products from Lidl but no modellers tool box should be without callipers. Essential when scratch building. :o)b

Also worth noting are the Paintbrush Sets coming into stock on the 16th. Though not great for normal modelling paint work, they are cheap (€2.99 per set) and therefore very useful for applying fillers, pastes, masks, Mr Surfacer, dry-brushing, mud on dios and tanks etc etc. Basically anything that you wouldn't want to destroy a good, expensive brush on ;)

I'm not sure but the set on the right are desribed as a "modelling" set and look to be sponge tipped. These would be perfect for weathering applications where blending is needed e.g. the Tamiya Weather Sets that look like women's makeup.

Happy Modelling!

Vinny

Spud

Re: Lidl Storage Containers (plus other useful things)

Postby Spud » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:11 pm

oh ya i saw them list the other day so ill be grabbing a few of them on Monday, no ider where they will go but ill be getting a few

martay

Postby martay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:37 pm

nice one vinny saw the brushes alright, have a caliper like that one and its fine as regards accuracy
Man with hand in pocket, feel cocky all day

Spud

Postby Spud » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 am

picked up one of each of the drawer things some electric solder as its small gauge is handy, a new calipipers, the brushes will be in on Thursday so ill nab some then

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Excellent stuff! These stores are great for modellers :lol: Those storage containers are very useful I find... I don't have room for another one at the moment though.

You got solder at Lidl too? I must try get some of that. Is it a good scale for wiring and all that?

Spud

Postby Spud » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 pm

the electrical solder was nice and thin, There were some heaver ones too, The small gauge of the electrical one will do for wires :)

Boreham

Postby Boreham » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:47 pm

called into Lidl this evening..prior to seeing this thread..
thew storage boxes are ideal for modelling purposes.
The vernier is 1/6 th the normal cost and is perfect for any self respecting modeller.
some drills and taps and dies which maybe handy for making small simple clamping and fixtures
loads of kits.... but no confidence to build...!!
Fear of failure..has me this way..

martay

Postby martay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:40 pm

picked up one of those stowage boxes today and have to say they are the job, gonna use it for my oil paints and brushes very handy indeed nice one spudster! :D

Spud

Postby Spud » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:51 pm

the storage is Dead handy. i picked up the rubber tipped tools today as there handy for manipulating the epoxy putty. the handels on them hare blood huge tough ....... i left the brushes as there rubbish ;D

martay

Postby martay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Ya the brushes are crap alright any way ive shite loads of them and what with the A/B only using the smallies now, was vinny that posted it up 1st so thanks to the man!

Return to “Tips & Tools”