Sotar 20/20 initial impression

Find a handy tool to make modelling life easier? Got a trick up your sleeve? Sharing is caring!
The Hobby Den

Sotar 20/20 initial impression

Postby The Hobby Den » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:12 am

Well I have had my new Sotar 20/20 a few days and have finally had a chance to have a go at using it. I have to say my initial impression is very good.
What you get
1) Airbrush
2) Spare Needle
3) Alternate nozzle cover.
4) Some tools.

To date I have been using a Aztec AZ7778 which is a really good airbrush in its own right. I have also been using a Olympus HP-100B again another good brush the Olympus is better at detail work than the Aztec.
Both of these fine airbrushes pale in comparison to the Sotar. The Sotar has a nice weight to it and the balance is good all leading to it felling good hold and use. What blows me away about the Sotar is the ability to do detail work . While it has a nice wide spray pattern when opened up. It is on detail work it excels. There is a locking mechanism on the back of the Sotar that allows you to dial in that setting that you want so that every time you want to do a thin line or highlighting (I finally found a airbrush I can highlight with)
The Sotar is so good at detail I have been able to airbrush tyres and tracks on a painted 1/72 scale model with no masks or overspray.
The key to doing detail work with the Sotar is keep the pressure on the compressor low about 20psi and you will get really fine lines.

So far I have not come up with any issues with the Sotar. It sprays Ammo by Mig straight from the bottle with no thinning. Tamiyas need thinning but spray really nice with it. The only thing to watch out for is tip dry but this happens with all my airbrushes.

Some examples of of the spray range on the Sotar

beowulf

Re: Sotar 20/20 initial impression

Postby beowulf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 am

never heard of sotar!

a price would be nice, although i too have an aztek and i cant see me giving it up for a long time, best AB ive ever had

The Hobby Den

Postby The Hobby Den » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:24 am

beowulf wrote:never heard of sotar!

a price would be nice, although i too have an aztek and i cant see me giving it up for a long time, best AB ive ever had

They are a Badger Airbrush sold under the name Sotar they are on special offer on Amazon reduced from $422 to $85 which is a bargain in my opinion.

Spud

Postby Spud » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:45 pm

The Sotar 20/20 is a really nice ab. If i had 85 to spare ild get one

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:53 pm

That's a bargain! I'd be very tempted at that price as I've a Badger setup and I've been looking for a gravity feed a/b for a while now. They're out of stock at the moment. Did you have to wait long and were your stung with customs?

Nice find!

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

The Hobby Den

Postby The Hobby Den » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Vinny wrote:That's a bargain! I'd be very tempted at that price as I've a Badger setup and I've been looking for a gravity feed a/b for a while now. They're out of stock at the moment. Did you have to wait long and were your stung with customs?

Nice find!

Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

I placed the order and waited about 5 weeks for it to ship. They don't charge your credit card until it ships. The whole lot including customs and shipping came to €105. I would advise placing the order while out of stock that pretty much guarantees you will get one when they come back into stock. They run out of stock really fast when they do come in.

Vinny

Postby Vinny » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks for the info! That's a good price… it would be even sweeter if the dollar wasn't so strong. Now, do I need a new airbrush or a punch'n'die set? :oj

Cheers!
Vinny [smilie=thumb.gif]

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:44 am

Lead us not into temptation. [smilie=pray.gif]

Return to “Tips & Tools”