How to Paint flesh tones with Acrylics

Find a handy tool to make modelling life easier? Got a trick up your sleeve? Sharing is caring!
Lego

Re: How to Paint flesh tones with Acrylics

Postby Lego » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 am

I tried to get some distilled water and the local chemist wanted €15 for 2 litres and they would have to order it in. The two I tried said the same thing.

I then went into Halfords and the battery water they sell is deionised. I know it is not distilled but would this work just the same spud?

Spud

Postby Spud » Mon May 20, 2013 1:07 am

you know im not sure, its bloody hard to find the stuff, i have purified water a 5l drum cost me like €5 in the chemist. so ild say go with that or stick on the kettle and capture the steam :)

Simson

Postby Simson » Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 am

it should be all the same for painting.
stuff in potable water may cause certain unwanted effects regarding painting, esp lime.

distilled removes most of the stuff
demineralised (or de-ionised) removes any minerals, incl lime and gasses (chlorine etc)
purified...a generic name using different methods
etc...there are several more methods involving special filtration techniques, like RO
Every method still leaves a residual amount, like 99.99999% pure or less but that's good enough for them

the pharma companies use lots of treated water for cleaning, rinsing etc and finally the cleanest form for mixing with products.....we made the stuff ourselves where I worked
If you know someone who works there they might give you some because they are fine for paint.

Lego

Postby Lego » Mon May 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Sorry i missed the replies. I got distracted reading how beer ie distilling water saved the lives of people living in cities years ago. Civilisation fueled by beer.

Simson

Postby Simson » Mon May 27, 2013 7:07 pm

they could have drunk a nice cup of tea like me and not get drunk.....you can paint with tea too....I used it to age the rigging ropes on old sailing ship models

tiking

Postby tiking » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:30 am

Nice job. I do need to improve my figures.
Charles King

Return to “Tips & Tools”